I’ve been doing a bit of research all in the name of Christmas presents…so made these deliciously yummy biscuits. Darren thinks they are like a fancy Jam Fancy, I think they are more like a Monte Carlo. They are easy to make, however a little time consuming!
225g butter, softened
140g caster sugar, plus extra for sprinkling
1 egg yolk, lightly beaten
2 tsp vanilla extract
280g plain flour
1 egg white, lightly beaten
pinch of salt
55g butter, softened
100g icing sugar
5 tbl strawberry or raspberry jam
- Put the butter and sugar into a bowl and mix well. Add egg & vanilla, beat well. Sift together flour and pinch of salt and mix until combined. Halve the dough, shape and wrap in plastic wrap and chill for 30 – 60 minutes.
- Preheat oven 190C. line 2 baking sheets with baking paper.
- Unwrap dough and roll between two sheets of baking paper until approx ½ cm thick. Cut out biscuits with round cutter and place on tray. Then cut out the centres of half the biscuits. Place on baking tray with room between each biscuit.
- Bake for 7 minutes. Then brush biscuits with beaten egg white and sprinkle with caster sugar. Bake for a further 5 minutes, until golden brown. Leave to cool 5 – 10 minutes on tray then lift with spatula to cooling rack.
- Jam Filling: Beat the butter and icing sugar together in a bowl until smooth and combined. Spread the buttercream over the whole biscuits and top with a little jam. Press the cookie rings on top and press gently together.